Use only strong, corrugated cartons with covers. We can supply you with specially made cartons, for everything from mattresses to clothing and mirrors. The added protection of mover-provided cartons may avoid damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials. Your alternative is to collect boxes discarded by your grocery or liquor store. Save old newspapers for use in packing, but remember that ink may rub off and stain clothing or other items. *WARNING: Insect eggs and insects such as roaches can travel in food boxes.
Keep this in mind when getting boxes from food stores. Here's a list a packing supplies that will come in handy:
- Plastic bags and labels for easy identification
- Foam peanuts, Styrofoam pellets or "popcorn"
- Tissue or craft paper for delicate packing jobs
- Corrugated paper rolls for figurines and fragile items
- Gummed tape (1 1/2 to 2 inches wide) and/or strong twine for sealing cartons
- Markers and labels for identifying contents of cartons
- Notebook and pencil for carton identification log
- Scissors and/or sharp knife